Post Type: Permanent
Location: Kildalton College, Co. Kilkenny
Reporting To: College Principal
Grade/Salary: Technician Grade 1
Basic Function: To provide technical support to the running of all educational programmes operated by Kildalton College
Background: Kildalton Agricultural College is an agricultural, horticultural and equine education and training centre in Piltown, Co. Kilkenny delivering courses from level 5 to 8.
Main Duties and Responsibilities: The main duties and responsibilities of the College Technician – Machinery will include:
· To prepare and deliver machinery/workshop skills training in line with approved curriculum.
· To undertake practical skills assessment and machinery proficiency testing of students.
· To assist in the supervision of students on work experience.
· To coordinate the operation & running of the college machinery fleet.
· To assist in the requisition of plant and machinery as required.
· To maintain and supervise the maintenance of machinery and equipment.
· To maintain safe workshops & equipment.
· To record the physical and financial records pertaining to farm machinery.
· To assist in the organisation and running of advisory and promotion events and activities.
· To participate in the review of Teagasc educational programmes.
· To oversee the purchase and use of fuels/oils.
· To support management in the selection of machinery and equipment.
· To assist with and participate in the marketing of courses at Kildalton College.
· To manage the health and safety of students.
· To fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
· To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Customer Service Charter and Action Plan.
· To actively participate in the annual business planning, risk management and Performance Management Development Systems (PMDS) processes.
· To take responsibility for his/her own on-going personal and professional development.
· Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
• Level 6 QQI qualification or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline (Agricultural Machinery/ Mechanisation/Engineering).
• Current full driver’s licence.
• A Level 7 qualification (machinery related).
• Pesticide application qualification.
• Qualification in welding/fabrication.
• Machinery maintenance & repair skills.
• Welding & Workshop skills.
• Record keeping ability.
• Motivational & mentoring skills.
• IT and computer skills.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Farm Machinery operation skills.
• Tractor & farm machinery technology.
• Practical knowledge of farming.
• Health & safety requirements.
• Experience in use of computer aided design.
• Fleet management.
• Knowledge of Teagasc courses and verification processes.
• Displays initiative and is self-motivated.
• Ability to communicate in an effective manner.
• Self-disciplined, organised and methodical.
• Flexible with an ability to adapt to changing requirements/priorities.
• Interested in self-development and acquiring new skills and knowledge.
• Capacity to build relationships and network with staff, clients and stakeholders.
Candidates must satisfy and continue to satisfy during employment with Teagasc, legal requirements to drive unaccompanied on Irish public roads.
How to Apply
For further information and to apply for this position, please visit www.teagasc.ie/careers. The closing date for this position is Wednesday 6th November 2019 @ 11.59pm. Applications received after this time will not be considered. Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. As part of Teagasc Gender and Diversity strategies, Teagasc welcomes a balanced pool of applicants. Canvassing will disqualify.